The intermediate course is optimal for those who wish to learn about green coffee at a deeper level and build on the core vocational skills required when working with green coffee regularly. The module is divided into three areas of learning:
1. PRINCIPLES OF COFFEE GROWING AND PROCESSING
- You will learn about the key differences in the botany of the Coffee species and how this leads to differences in growing location and farming systems by plant type.
- You will gain knowledge of variations in farming practices found in producing countries including shading methods, fertilization and pest management.
- You will gain insight to the differences in processing techniques for the production of speciality quality coffee and how these techniques change the cup profile of coffee.
2. INTRODUCTION TO GREEN COFFEE GRADING
- You will get an overview of the different types of defect likely to occur in green coffee and the likely causes of them.
- You will learn how to physically examine green coffee samples, identify physical defects, and use key equipment needed for effective quality assessment of green coffee.
3. COFFEE CONTRACTS AND GREEN COFFEE PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT
- You will gain insight to the basic market principles that are involved in pricing changes of all coffee sectors.
- You will learn how to create green coffee contracts with suppliers and customers.
- Learn about navigating the supply chain and how to apply your knowledge of seasonality in coffee cropping, along with shipping and storage knowledge to stock holding patterns.
- Learn about the quality differences as a result of supply chain variations, basic legislative requirements for purchasing and gain an understanding of different certification schemes in the world of coffee.
The course provides you with the key information to enable you to sit your Green Coffee Intermediate certification that consists of 4 short practical exams and a written exam (25 questions with a pass rate of 70% required). Successful students will be awarded 10 points towards the SCAE Coffee Diploma.
Days: Two days of training and 1 day of certification.