- This event has passed.
SCA Sensory Skills Foundation 19. January 2021 – VIRTUAL
January 19 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm CET
Spend a day exploring your senses
At CoffeeMind’s Virtual SCA Sensory Skills Foundation you spend a day exploring your senses to the maximum! We take you through a wide range of taste and smell experiences and the theoretical mechanisms underlying them. The aim is to give you a basic understanding of the most important principles in sensory physiology, psychology and methodology. On top of that, the course contains a few cupping sessions.
No matter where you work in the coffee industry, a basic understanding of sensory science is important, as we all work to ensure high quality and excellent taste of the coffee.
You should sign up for this course if you want to get a better understanding of how we taste and smell, and how we determine and talk about coffee flavour and quality.
Before the course begins you receive a sensory kit; a box full of tastes, aromas and coffees to give you a hands on experience throughout the course.
The shipping costs for this box will be charged separately as it varies greatly from region to region. Expect around €20-30 for Europe and between €50-150 for the rest of the world.
The course integrates interactive exercises and theory, allowing you to experience the theoretical concepts on your own palate. Various watery solutions, aromas and natural references are tasted and smelled to gain deeper understanding of what flavour truly is.
Things you need during the course:
- Cupping cups (regular coffee cups are fine). A minimum of 6 is required. Ideally similar size of approx. 200ml.
- Coffee grinder
- Kettle (large enough to boil water for 4-5 cups à approx. 1-1.5 liter)
- One grapefruit
- Table salt
- Mineral water / filtered water in 0.5 liter bottles. A minimum of 12 bottles is required.
- Internet access with minimum 50 Mbps download and 30 Mbps upload (please test this before the course)
- A microphone and a webcam with decent sound and image quality
- A quiet room
A successful participation in this course will provide you with the opportunity to do the SCA Sensory Foundation online written exam and acquire the corresponding certificate. Please note that if you choose to progress to the SCA certification, there is an additional fee charged by SCA administered by us for issuing the certificate. Prices and procedure are described here: SCA’s certificate fees
Prerequisites & SCA Certificate
- No experience required
- The course provides you with key information enabling you to get your Sensory Skills Foundation Certification
- Successful students will be awarded 5 points towards The SCA Coffee Diploma