- This event has passed.
SCA Coffee Roasting Foundation IKAWA 8. November 2021 – VIRTUAL
Get immersed in the world of coffee roasting for beginners in a small group (maximum 8 pax) on this IKAWA online SCA Roasting Foundation course hosted by Morten Münchow who has been working on the SCA Roasting curriculum since 2013 and generated a wealth of scientific knowledge specifically to improve the SCA Roasting Curriculum (ORCID, Blog)
This course is highly practical and does not dwell on scientific details which is more a background for keeping the discussion to the point and not get lost in fluffy concepts around coffee roasting and sensory evaluation.
As a courtesy IKAWA has made a limited number of roasters available on a loan basis for course participants in exchange for a deposit and user paid shipping.
Please contact email@example.com to arrange logistics
Starting something new always includes hours of trial and error. By completing this course you will have a much better understanding of how to approach the roasting machine, and how the basic modulations lead to different flavour profiles. You will understand the basics of how the machine works which enables you to troubleshoot and solve problems that may arise.
The course is designed with the assumption that you have an IKAWA roaster available during the duration of the online virtual course. We will take you through the SCA Roasting Foundation theory as the basis for the practical exercises during which the trainer will give each student personal coaching on planned time slots during the course day.
A successful participation in this course will provide you with the opportunity to do the SCA Roasting Foundation online written exam and acquire the corresponding certificate. Please note that if you choose to progress to the SCA certification, there is an additional fee charged by SCA administered by us for issuing the certificate. Prices and procedure are described here: SCA’s certificate fees
The only requirements for participating in this highly practical course is:
- IKAWA roaster and a smartphone with the IKAWA app installed.
- 1kg Central American green coffee of high quality
- Internet access with minimum 50 Mbps download and 30 Mbps upload (please test this before the course)
- A microphone and a webcam with decent sound and image quality
- A quiet room
- SCA Roasting Foundation book by Morten Münchow is not a requirement but could help you prepare for the course: Amazon UK, Amazon US
Things you need during the day
- 6 identical cups/glasses with 150-200 ml volume
- Scale, 1 g increments
- Aroma wheel (download and print free pdf)
Prerequisites & SCA Certificate
- No experience required
- 2 hours supplemental online e-learning preparation material before the live online event
- The course provides you with key information enabling you to get your Roasting Foundation Certification
- Successful students will be awarded 5 points towards the SCA Coffee Diploma
- A successful participation in this course will provide you with the opportunity to do the SCA Roasting Foundation online written exam and acquire the corresponding certificate. Please note that if you choose to progress to the SCA certification, there is an additional fee charged by SCA administered by us for issuing the certificate. Prices and procedure are described here: SCA’s certificate fees